What is Pronunciation ? And How Do We Doing it Better ?

A couple of years ago, I realized one of my talents that I found might gone useful someday, this talent I didn't realize it at first at some point. But after a few years researching and finding myself a new hobby, I realized I'm good at mimic-ing someone else, particularly movie actors or actresses. Whenever I watch movie I try my best to repeat what they're saying. I remember the first movie I tried to mimic was this :


Now, I know maybe some of you started to think, "What could you gather from this crappy movie ?" Well, tell you what, it's a lot. Not only I learn mimic-ing the casts, but I also learned the technology's concept inside the movie, like the Holograph Watch, Dream Saver Visualization, Holo-Detector Full Body Scanner.

Anyway, back to topic of "Speak". A few years ago, I worked in a several foreign countries. One for US company, one for Malaysian Company. The worker there are mostly also foreigner from somewhere else, such as Turks, Mainland Chinese, Myanmar, Bangladesh, Indian, Nepal, and Japan. Whenever I spoke with them and tried to ask them a few words in their own language, I tried to repeat what they're saying and I always got "Wow, you spelled it correctly !"

So, my point is, whenever you learn new languages, stop thinking anything and comes up in your mind a pattern of alphabet in your own language. For example, my native language is Bahasa, which is the alphabet almost the same as the one used in Japanese's romaji. So sometimes when I learned new word such as Korean or Japanese I spell and mimic their natives' way of speech. For example : 

Korean :
Saeng-il Chukkha hamnida = so I spell them based on my native's will be like "seng il cukha hamnida" with a little bit remembering how they speak in K-drama.

From above example, one thing you need to do is just don't think too complex on things like "oh my God, this is gonna be hard" or "my God, new word sounds so foreign to me". Just think of it as your own language, but with different method on saying and different meaning.

I'll come up later with better way to learn them in the future, but for now, try to fix this mind set, and be at ease learning new languages !

Comments

Popular Posts